You can trust Abington Surgical Center to deliver compassion and a bedside manner that enriches the lives of our patients. Our surgeons and staff partner with you and your family to provide a smooth, caring, surgical experience – one that produces successful results.
To prepare you for your surgery at Abington Surgical Center:
- We gather information from your primary care physician and surgeon to ensure that all necessary medical tests, clearances, and reports are complete before surgery and that everyone understands your medical situation. Please follow all instructions outlined below under “Pre-Surgery Instructions.”
- We help you understand your insurance coverage and financial obligations, if any, so you don’t get unforeseen financial surprises later.
- We make your surgical experience as emotionally comfortable as possible by explaining clearly everything that will take place before, during, and after your surgery.
- We’re with you every step of the way. We’re in this together!
All patients are required to pre-register for their procedure. Please complete this as soon as possible and at the very latest, ONE WEEK before your procedure date. Pre-registration can be completed by clicking the button below. Please have the following information ready as it will be necessary to complete the pre-registration:
- Password for new patient registrations is ASC267NEW
- A list of current medications, over the counter medications, allergies/sensitivities, medical insurance and physician names and phone numbers
- You will be asked for your communication preferences. Please know that texting is the preferred method of communication, however, E-mail and phone communication are perfectly acceptable
Your communication preferences are very important as they determine how you will be contacted the business day prior to your surgery (after 12pm) to confirm your surgery time, arrival time and any other specific pre-op instructions relating to your procedure.
Additional important notes regarding pre-registration
- If your health history requires updating or correcting, please login,make the changes and resubmit. Please call us at 267-960-1413 if you require login information
- If you do not have internet access, we ask that you first attempt to have a family member or friend help you. If you are unable to find other assistance, please call 267-960-1413 to be added to our help list. We will contact you in a timely manner to assist with the pre-registration process.
- If you have technical difficulties, please call Simple Admit Customer Service at 877-848-4726
2. HISTORY AND PHYSICALS
If your procedure requires any anesthesia other than local, state law requires that we have a history and physical (H&P) that is completed within 30 days of your procedure and on file with Abington Surgical Center a week prior to your procedure. Please confirm with your surgeon the best way to complete this. If you are in need of the H&P form, you can find it in the right hand column of this web page (you will likely need to scroll up) under “Forms.”
What to Expect
Click on the links below to find out more about your visit.
Expect to be contacted by an Abington Surgical Center pre-op nurse after 12pm (either by text, E-mail or phone based upon communication preferences selected during pre-registration) the business day prior to your procedure with instructions regarding fasting and exact time for your arrival all of which are specific to your procedure and physician preferences. Please note that your time may change from the original time you were told due to changes in physicians’ schedules.
A parent or guardian must accompany any child under 18 years of age to Abington Surgical Center. Failure to observe the above requirements may result in cancellation of your operation or procedure.
- Please do not eat solids after midnight before surgery. You are permitted clear liquids (water, apple juice, tea, black coffee) up to two hours before the arrival at the Center. Please no milk, cream or orange juice.
- All adult Surgical Patients, AT THE REQUEST OF THE ANESTHESIA DEPARTMENT, please take Tylenol 1000mg (as long as you are not allergic) with a mouthful of water before you leave the house to come to the surgical center. If you have kidney disease only take 500mg. Patients having Pain Management procedures or GI procedures do not need to take Tylenol.
- On the morning of your surgery please hold all medications, except above Tylenol, and BRING YOUR MORNING MEDICATIONS WITH YOU TO THE SURGICAL CENTER. Anesthesia will determine which medications you can take.
- Bring your photo ID, insurance card, and any MRI reports to Registration. Please be prepared to pay your applicable co-pay and deductibles. Do not bring any other valuables.
- Do not smoke.
- You may brush your teeth on the day of your procedure, however you may not chew gum or have mints.
- Wear loose clothing and low-heeled shoes.
- Patients having breast, face, neck or shoulder surgery please wear an oversized shirt, preferably that opens in the front, in order to make dressing after your procedure easier.
- Patients having abdominal or leg surgery please wear loose fitting pants preferably with an elastic waist. Jeans are usually not a good choice since they do not fit over bulky dressings.
- Please remove all body piercings.
- Do not wear contact lenses. Wear your eyeglasses and bring your eyeglass case with you.
- You MUST have a driver over the age of 18 to bring you and THEY MUST STAY HERE AT THE ABINGTONSURGERY CENTER DURING YOUR PROCEDURE, and then take you home afterwards. Someone should stay with you for at least 24 hours after your procedure.
- You will not be permitted to take a cab/Uber or Lyft home unless you have an adult here at the surgical center to accompany you home.
- Relax and leave the rest to us!
Call Abington Surgical Center immediately if you are unable to keep your appointment or will be late: 215-443-8505.
Download or Print: Day of Surgery
Expect a phone call from Abington Surgical Center post- operative nurses to check in with you regarding any issues you may be having after your procedure and if you have a full understanding of the post operative instructions you were given after surgery.
Download or Print: After your Surgery
- Please bring the photo ID of the parent or legal guardian and your child’s insurance card
- The child MUST be accompanied by parent or legal guardian (paperwork must be provided).
- It is required that a parent or legal guardian remain at the surgical center the entire time the child is in our building.
- Please bring a blanket, stuffed animal, favorite toy or other item of comfort for your child to take through the operating room and into the recovery room with them. Bringing a tablet/iPad or other handheld gaming device is also suggested to be used in the preoperative area as it is found to be a good relaxation tool.
- For infants or toddlers, please bring a bottle or sippy cup for the recovery room and extra diapers.
Your child may have a light meal (which consists of toast or formula) until 6 hours before arrival time at the surgical center.
Your child may have breast milk until 4 hours before arrival time at surgical center.
Your child may have clear liquids (which consists of water, apple juice, jello) until 2 hours before arrival time at surgical center.
Download or Print: Additional Pediatric Instructions